Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Happy Birthday Michael

Today is my third child's (2nd son) birthday. We were so thrilled and so excited the day Michael was born. That year it was Labor Day and oh boy did I ever LABOR. I had been laboring for about 14 hours and then my Dr. came to check me. I was only at a 2. He ordered Pitocin full strength and went home to his Labor Day party. As soon as the Pit was in I went from 2 to a 10 in 10 minutes. My little baby just came blasting out full force. It was not fun. However, as soon as I saw my beautiful little boy, I was sooooooo happy.
Michael has always been a wonderful, fun, active guy. He has always been so interesting. He is smart, kind, a great athlete, a great business man and a thoughtful, considerate son. He served a faithful mission in Brazil, Campinas and then Marilia Mission. He was assistant to the President and just absolutely loved his mission. He loooooooves fishing. He is a great dog trainer, entomologist, cook, and camper. He is a graduate of Brigham Young University with a major in Business and Zoology and a minor in Portuguese. He has always loved nature and animals. He is a wonderful leader. Michael loves his family and is a true and loyal friend. I am so glad that he is my son and I love him so very much.
I thought I would write just a few little stories about him that are fun.
When he was just in kndg. he had a caterpillar which made a chrysalis. One morning he told me that he needed to stay home that morning because, "my butterfly will be born today" I made him go to school. That morning the butterfly did hatch and I felt bad for making him go to school. Luckily when he came home, the butterfly was still drying it's wings. When I asked him if he was going to mount it for his collection, which by then was already very nice and quite large, he replied, "No Mom. I'm going to set it free. This is the first time I'm a Father to a butterfly." Years later when he was a student at BYU and had an insect collection one of the museums in the area asked him if they could have it and he now has one of his collections on display.














He raised Labradors when he was young. The money that he earned was saved and he later used it to fund part of his mission. He trained his dog so well that he was once offered over $1,000 by a hunter for his lab Cleo. Of course he didn't sell her. She was HIS dog.
When he was a boy, he often was seen in the neighborhood riding his skate board, being pulled by Cleo who was holding one end of a rope and he the other, with his Conure, Captain on his shoulder.
When he was a teen, he loved going hiking and camping. He would often take the younger boys in the ward with him as well as his friends. Some of the Mom's would tell me that they loved when their sons went with him because not only would they have fun hiking and camping, but he often would tell them stories from the Book of Mormon and would compare their adventures to the one they would be experiencing and he would encourage them to follow the heroes of the Book of Mormon.
One time as they were camping, he caught a bunch of fish from the river with his bare hands. They had no way to cook them. So, he bartered with some other campers. He gave them fish and they gave him butter. He and the boys then used their shovel, which they heated on a fire, as a pan and fried the fish in the butter. If I ever were to be stranded on an island, I would want him to be there because he is a wonderful provider and can take care of the people who are with him.
Now he is a very successful business man. We are so glad and happy to be the parents of this great man and wish him a most wonderful birthday with lots of happiness and success in the future.

5 comments:

Connie said...

Did your doctor make it back from his party in time to deliver your son?
Happy Birthday to Michael! He must be a wonderful son! Love the stories, especially the one about the butterfly!

** Dre and Yoho ** said...

so cute! :) nice story!

Nancy Face said...

Great stories! Hope he had a happy day! :)

The Wendler Family said...

Those are some fun stories! That butterfly story was so adorable!
I love birthdays. Happy Birthday to Michael!

I can't believe you'll be home in 4 weeks!! I am getting sooooo SOOO excited to see you!! Love you!

Yvonne said...

I hope he had a fabulous birthday.

I love reading stories of your children when they were growing up--you sound like you were such a wonderful mom. (And I know you still are ; )