Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hot Air Balloon

Some of my children went to a Hot Air Balloon Festival yesterday and it reminded me of a family story from long, long ago. My great-grandfather, Zavadovsky, was the military governor of Warsaw many years ago. I believe he was a General. Well, on this particular day he was reviewing the troops and he had his young daughter(late teens/early twenties) with him. They were also having a display of hot air balloons there. One of the young military guys was showing her around and invited her to step inside one of the balloons to get a better look. Once inside, they realized that the balloon was not well tethered because it lifted. The military guy panicked, not knowing what to do as the balloon rose higher and higher. My grandmother used her wits and quickly figured out to lighten the load and to extinguish the flame. Having done those two things, the balloon soon landed much to the relief of everyone down below and especially my great-great grandfather. Thus my grandmother became the first russian lady to fly in a hot air balloon.

3 comments:

Nancy Face said...

That is the COOLEST story! :)

Yvonne said...

What a GREAT story.

The Wendler Family said...

How cool is that?! What a great story!