Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day 3 Shopping and Baptism in France


The girls really wanted to do some shopping, so after letting them sleep in (for a long time), we went into Ville Neuve d'Ascq and went to Auchan and the shopping mall there. They spent a long time shopping, looking at things, chatting, laughing, and having a good time. Jenna had a very successful trip with several purchases.
Then we went to lunch at Flunch where I unfortunately got some food poisoning. I know that was what it was because less than 10 minutes after we left the restaurant, my stomach hurt really, really badly and I had to rush to the WC clear across the other side of the huge mall. I left the girls with Papa at one of the stores. I was actually sick in the bathroom. Fortunately my illness didn't last too long and after about an hour I felt much better.


Just before 4:00 we went to church for the baptism of Cecile and her daughter Tracy.
Charles, the Dad, had been baptized about 5 or 6 weeks ago and today he baptized his daughter. Cecile was baptized by Manu. This family is so very nice. They are from Cameroon.
When Cecile began coming to church she met Hayrie. Besides being blind Hayrie also has almost no teeth as they pulled them out when she first came to France. She has no money to get false teeth. After about 2 weeks Cecile had me translate for Hayrie and tell her to find out how much it would cost for her to get new teeth. She said she would like to pay for it a little at a time and that she was going to find out how she could finance this venture for Hayrie. What a generous and gracious gift for someone in need. She also didn't want Hayrie to tell people about it. The only way I know is because I am the translator.











Before the baptism service began Emma was nice enough to play the piano for us. She is a wonderful pianist and we all enjoyed listening to her play. She has a nice touch when she plays and the hymns sounded so beautiful.


Papa and Jenna were looking over the French Cantique which does not have all the same hymns as the English one.









Cecile and Manu.




Cecile, Manu, and Charles.






























Cecile, Charles, and Tracy.

















Charles and Cecile at the buffet after the baptism.











Here is the entire Tessa family. Samuel, Charles, Cecile and Tracy. The 2 children are 14 year old twins. Samuel is not quite ready to be baptized yet.































































After many of the people left we were privileged to have a private concert. Elder Raco played lots of beautiful pieces for us. He played Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Mozart, and also some more modern music. WOW! He is an awesome pianist.














Soeur Curran sang for us and she and Elder Roco also sang a duet.

Everyone was sooooooo nice to the girls. They talked to them and many of them tried to speak to them in English. I think they really felt welcomed. Many of them told me how pretty and nice the girls are. I must say that these 2 young ladies are awesome and I know they will grow up to be fantastic women.

After we got home, Papa and the girls took a loooooooooog walk. They were gone for so long that I began to worry a little. Well, I knew they were fine. I was just wondering why they were gone for so long.



Jenna had a little fashion show for us which we all liked. She looks so good in everything. Every thing she tried on looked good on her.
Emma tried on only a few things, but didn't end up buying anything. She is looking for something typically French.

















































































After showers and scripture reading everyone is in bed. I am going too just as soon as I finish up writing here.



















What a delightful visit we are having!





3 comments:

Yvonne said...

How fun for the girls to be there for a baptism and to be able to interact with everyone.

Looks like a successful shopping trip.

Nancy Face said...

I'm so sorry you got food poisoning! Ugh, that is such an awful feeling...I'm glad it didn't last long!

What a wonderful baptism! And I wish I could hear the piano performance! :)

marcia@joyismygoal said...

yes sorry you got sick but how wonderful the time you are having shopping and baptisms and service the perfect mix