Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Brussels, Keukenhof











The arc is in Brussels, Belgium. It is near one of the tunnels of which there are many, many in this city.
Saturday the 25th of April we went to Keukenhof, Netherlands. It is the home of the world's largest flower garden. It was just the most beautiful place. The flowers were just gorgeous, some of the most vibrant and beautiful flowers I have ever seen.
Some of the houses on the way were huge and also very beautiful























We drove up with two other senior couples. The Phairs are the couple that we know well and flew to Belgium with at the beginning of our mission. The other couple is new here. They are the Romney's who arrived here 3 weeks ago and will be acting as government representatives to the EU (european union). They were Mission President and wife in the Moscow, Russia Mission a few years ago. They lived in Moscow for 3 years. We met up with several other senior couples who are serving in the Netherlands. We had a wonderful day together looking at all of the gorgeous flowers.

On our drive there, we took a wrong turn and lucky for us drove through some of the most picturesque towns in the world. The little towns had many streets which had their homes face canals. In front of each house there was a little curved bridge that crossed the street over the canal to the front yard of each house. All of the yards were perfectly manicured with lovely flowers, hedges, and lawns. All of the houses looked imacuately cared for. We also passed many, many well cared for fields of flowers or fields with farm animals; cattle, sheep and lots of little lambs, horses, pigs, etc. We drove for a long, long time on this accidental detour and were able to see a very beautiful side of the Netherlands.






There were several buildings in Keukenhof that had flower displays of all kinds. One of them housed only orchids, another had hydrangeas and hyacinths. There were lots of pansies, mums, and many other varieties of flowers.










































































The tulips were out of this world. There were tulips of every color you could imagine and also tulips with varigated colors.
















































































































These are fields of tulips.













Lovely trees in full bloom lined many of the pathways.














































































































































































This huge owl had fun watching the bazillions of people who were there.


































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































Friday we spent the night in Brussels. These are the views from the back and front of the apt. we stayed in.




































































This is the U.S. embassy.






























13 comments:

txmommy said...

wow! that is beautiful!! it reminds me of the "Best Two Years" movie! How fun that you got to see all those gorgeous flowers :)

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

The Tulip Fields remind me of Bremmerton Washington- it was so amazing to see FIELDS of tulips- and WOW you got to see some incredible flowers!

Erika said...

Stunning! Wish I were there to see those flowers in person!

One For All said...

Those flowers are beeeeeautiful!!! Thanks for sharing! Love you, charmela

Yvonne said...

I agree with txmommy--it so reminds me of "The Best Two Years".

The flowers must smell wonderful.

Continue to enjoy this great work.

nikko said...

So pretty!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Natalie, I love reading your blog. I was showing all the kids your tulip pictures. OK, so I have to share a website with 3 Texans. .. I still consider you a Texan. So if I win, I get a $250 photography session in Texas. Which I'll give to Lana. So if you want to enter (and give the prize to Lana) you can. .. www.giveawaytoday.blogspot.com I entered Tiffany in a motherhood contest last week and she was selected as a finalist, but she only got enough votes to win 2nd place. She was excited, though. OK, I've blabbed enough. Love you, Sarah

Peter and Sharon Anderson said...

Hi John and Natalie! Keukenhof! When my father was stationed in Germany 1956-1961 our family went to Keukenhof to see the tulips and the windmills. We kept laughing at my dad who was fluent in German and so kept calling it Keukenhoffen.

I love learning about your mission and all the experiences you are having by reading your blog. What a blessing that you can serve the Lord in that part of the world-- a field of blessings!

Robin said...

Its beautiful. SOunds like you ar a hit... Who would have thought you would have meet soo many people in which you get to teach in Russian

Tori said...

Natalie,

Thanks so much for writing such a detailed account of all of your doings. I love to read all the stories... especially of the people you have met and work with and your detailed descriptions of the beautiful places you see.
Who would have thought you would use your mother-tongue so much!

Best to John!

Tori

marcia@joyismygoal said...

it is like the movie what amazing scapes of flowers the detailed work that is required for that effect is not lost on me! what industry !! Cool windmill I loved windmills as a little girl -i wanted to be the little Dutch girl:) Reading your accounts solidifies my resolve and deepens my desire to serve a mission. Thank you . I am so very deeply grateful that I am so blessed to be able to read your experiences, Zach's, 2 of my nephew's and my dear friends son-- it thrills me to know the work is so vibrant!

The Wendler Family said...

Seeing all of those flowers makes me so happy! There is nothing like fields of flowers every where you look.
I wish I make it to the Netherlands to see all of those beautifully stunning flowers! I'm so glad you got to have that experience. As for me, maybe next time.

Kerry Schultz said...

I saw a link to your blog on my cousins blog. From there I saw Lana's (hope I spelled that right) blog. Man - how time flies. I haven't seen you guys in SO LONG! Would love to catch up :)...
Kerry (Thomas) Schultz