Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Firstborn

For years I dreamed of becoming a mother and on April 18, my dream came true. Yay!Yah!Hurray!
After being married for almost 3 years, DH was finishing up college and I was teaching. Finally we could have a baby. I stopped taking the pill to give us a few months to get pregnant so that I could have a baby in the summer, but luckily for us, I got pregnant right away. I was so excited. I could not believe my luck. I was going to have a baby!
My dearest friend Helen was also expecting a baby at this time. We had the same dr. She was due about 6 weeks or so before me, but we kept teasing each other about how much fun it would be to have our babies on the same day. She would just have her baby a bit late and I would have mine a bit early. Then we could be in the hospital together and oh what fun that would be. Well, Helen was later than her due date and on April 17, she had darling, little Victor. I was very excited for her. I would still be waiting another 3 1/2 weeks, at least.
Much to my surprise that very night I began having cramps. They were not too bad, although they did wake me up and not let me sleep. Pretty soon those cramps were coming every 10 minutes regularly. I woke DH up and told him about it. We weren't sure if I was in labor or not, but they kept coming and coming very regularly. Soon they were about 5 minutes apart. I wasn't sure if we should go to the hospital or not because I didn't want to be sent home for false labor being 3 weeks early, but DH said, "I don't care if you are in real labor or not, we are going to the hosptial." So off we went. DH was so nervous. I had never seen him nervous before. When got to the hospital and as we were checking in we looked at each other and I said, "Well, what shall we name our baby. We have to decide now." We had been having a had time deciding on a name because we just didn't like the same names. Finally I said, "How about____?" DH really liked the name. "But what if it's a boy?" I said. "Let's just hope it's a girl." he replied.
In those day, the Dad's couldn't go into the labor and delivery room and so they whisked me off to labor all by myself. I remember that next to me was a very young, young teenager having her first baby. She kept yelling and screaming and finally yelled, "I want my Mom." The nurse came in and told her to be quiet that she had a long time to wait still. Fortunately for me, although my labor was very strong, I did not have to wait all that much longer. By early morning I had to push and after 3 pushes (without any medication) my baby was born at
5:49a.m. It was a girl. I was totally elated. I kept asking the nurses and dr. if they were sure it was a girl. One of the nurses finally said, "Well just look at her and see for yourself." I was looking right at her, but just couldn't believe that I really had a baby girl. My most exciting dream had come true. L was a tiny little thing. She weighed 6lbs 2ozs and was 19 " long. When DH got to come in to see me, he too was so excited. One of the things he said was that this morning was the first time he had seen a sunrise in the United States and how beautiful it was. One of the things I told him was that I hoped he didn't want any more children because I was not going to do that again. (Oh the things we say and have to take back)Ha Ha. We were the happy parents of a beautiful, little girl!
A funny side note: As they were wheeling me into my room, I was asking the nurses if Helen L was there. She was my friend and we wanted to be together. Helen was there, but we didn't get to be in the same room. However, we got to see and hold each other's babies before anyone else did, except the Daddy's, of course. We loved being together and admiring each others little ones. To this day, Helen and I are the best of friends.
My little L was the best little baby. She was always happy and always calm. She didn't cry or fuss much at all. She has grown into a beautiful, intellient, imaginative young woman with a great sense of humor. L is very composed and like her Dad doesn't lose her temper or get mad and out of control. She always thinks things through. In her early 20's she was called to be the Primary president and not much later was called to be Relief Society president. I'm sure she got some of her leadership training when she was still a little girl and had declared herself to be the Captain of her siblings. Ha!
When she was about 4 years old, she saved her brother and little friend, Ben, from a scorpion. We were living in the desert and one day I heard her calling me from her bedroom. When I hurried in there, I saw her holding both boys(brother just a baby) in the corner of her bed. There on the floor was a huge scorpion.
When she was in high school and had to write book reports, she would often make up her own book and write a report about it. She got good grades on those reports too, the teachers never being the wiser. L got all A's in college.
Once while she was teaching school and was introduced to one of the school administrators, he said to her, "Oh, so you're the teacher who walks on water."
L, otherwise known as Txmommy is a fabulous mom to her 6 children. She is a great reader and has taught that love of reading to her children. She is spiritually inclined. She is a great wife and a fabulous cook. L is a cancer survivor. I look up to and admire my first daughter. She is my daughter and my friend. She is calm and supportive when I am falling apart. She is her father's daughter and has a special relationship with him. I love you L. Happy Birthday.


L with her little sister Anna and with her brother A.







Here she is with her firstborn, Dani and then she is with her first 3 girls.











L and her DH on their engagement.(I think). I will be writing about him in May.


L and two of her sisters.











The family together, minus Dani who is now married and expecting her own little girl.
L and her hubby do lots of fun things with their family. I think they have a good mix of activities for their children; spiritual, educational, sports, and fun. They are also teaching them a good work ethic. L has lots of parties for her children; cleaning parties, folding parties, cooking parties, as well as celebrations.










This is a common way that I see them when we are together.








































10 comments:

The Wendler Family said...

That was so fun to read! I can't believe that you had to have your baby alone with out your husband! I guess labor and delivery wasn't that bad if you had more children after L. She is such a great person and mother. I sure she learned that from you! :)Happy Birthday L!

txmommy said...

Thanks! what a nice post. Thanks for giving me a birthday! Love you.

Yvonne said...

I loved that. I learned a lot about your txmommy. She is such a wonderful person--not news to you. (I'm really looking forward to meeting her in May)

LOL that you asked the nurses if they were sure she was a girl ; )

Shuldberg's in Texas said...

You raised a great daughter! We all love her and are going to miss her, and her family, when she moves.

Nancy Face said...

What a great story! How cool that you really did get to be at the hospital with your friend! :)

carolinagirl said...

What a sweet post! Happy Birthday txmommy

marcia@joyismygoal said...

She is wonderful and we do all love her I am so glad to have had her as my friend
side note: I did not know you knew Catherine too:)

Ladybird said...

HI, congrats about your baby girl! Thank you for passing by my blog and the comment :)

The Tall and Short of it said...

She is so GREAT because of you guys!! She and her family beautiful will be missed! We miss the two of you so much also!

The Texas Bakers said...

What a beautiful post! You are a great mother, deserving of that wonderful daughter. I'm sure she learned a lot of that from you.