Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Muslim to Mormon

Today I heard the most amazing account told by Ben, himself, at our sunday school class in Lille, France .

Ben was a Muslim all his life. By the age of 26 he had finished his degree at the university and was back from fighting the war for the french as a paratrooper. He had traveled and seen much of the world and he had "lived hard". Ben had a student apartment where he was continuing his studies, but he also had a room in the family home where he spent his free time.
He decided that he had seen all that life has to offer and had done many, many different things. Now he was ready to live a "good life". Ben decided that he wanted to live a godly life. So, he read the Koran from cover to cover. Then he read the Torah from cover to cover and finally he read the Bible from cover to cover. He did not know which direction his life should take.






One day he was in his student apartment and he decided to pray in his own way. He took the 3 books and set them on a shelf in front of him and he began his prayer. "God" he said, "I know that you are there and I want to follow you, but I don't know which of these books I should follow. Please tell me which is the right book and I will follow you for the rest of my life. I will listen to what you say. But, if you do not answer me, then I will pick one of these books myself and follow that book. When I come before you on the last day, I will talk to you. If you tell me that I have been following the wrong book, then it will be your fault because I asked you and you did not answer me. Then I will be the one to go to heaven and not you." (He later said that he should not have spoken to God in such a manner, but he did.)
That night he went to bed as usual. In the middle of the night(3:00am), he suddenly awoke and sat straight up in his bed. He felt someone right next to him on his right side, but he couldn't turn to see who it was. This someone said to him, "Do you believe in God?" "Yes, I do," replied Ben. At that instant, the wall of his room disappeared in front of him and he saw 3 crosses with feet nailed to them. Blood was pouring from the feet of Christ and pooled around Ben. "Do you believe in Jesus Christ?" "Yes." he answered. "How can I not believe, I see him right in front of me." Then the someone said, "Wait and it will be shown you."
As you can imagine, Ben did not sleep the rest of the night. When he went out of his room in the morning, his mother asked him if he had seen a ghost because he looked so white. He told her no. She told him to go and take a shower, which he did and then he gathered his things and left the house. He got on the metro and there he saw 2 missionaries who were talking to someone else. One of the missionaries spotted Ben and came over to him. He said, "You are looking for something and I have a message for you." Ben replied, "Well we will see what you have to offer." He also said that if what they wanted to teach him did not include Jesus Christ, a prophet and a good way of life that he would not be listening to them. The missionary told him that, that is exactly what they wanted to teach him about. They gave him a Book of Mormon and asked him to read it. Ben read the book in one week. He then called the missionaries and asked them to come over to his apt. He told them that he knew the book to be true and he wanted to be baptized on September 7th, his birthday. They said that would be fine.
Now, Ben had been a Muslim and his family were very strong and faithful Muslims. He went to his mom and told her that he read the Book of Mormon and knew that it was true. He said he was going to be baptized and join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and that he was going to become a Christian. His mom replied that he had always been a good boy, that he had never given them any problems, that he had never dishonored the family name, but that if he joined this church, he might as well pack up his things and never come back. "You've got to be kidding." he said. "No, I am not. Go and pack your bags," the mom replied. So, Ben went to his room and gathered a few things and put them in his backpack and left.
When he got to his student apt. he again prayed to God. He said, "God, I told you that if you gave me an answer that I would follow you for the rest of my life and I will. However, next to you there is noone that I love more or want to be with more than my familly. Must you take them away from me?" A few hours later, there was a knock on the door. It was his brother and sister who had come to tell him that mother sent them to bring their brother back home.
Ben was baptized on his birthday only a few short weeks after his prayer to God. He has been married and has 3 young children, 2 girls and a baby boy. He remains faithful to his new faith.

13 comments:

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

I often wonder what I would do had I not been born into a home that had the gosple already. What strength and conviction. Thank you for sharing this experience.

The Wendler Family said...

What a powerful story! I am sure he is an amazing member. :)
The church is true!

Robin said...

what an amazing story.I love it

Erika said...

THAT is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing it!

The Amazing Trips said...

Wow, that leaves me speechless.

What an amazing story and what a great job telling it.

Yvonne said...

Thank you for posting this incredible story. This young man must be very special.

Catherine said...

What an amazing story, Natalie.
That meeting arrived at the right time, no ? So, the answer.
Usually, people don't choose their religion, it's something cultural, or a family affair. The way Ben found his, has something special, like a revelation.
Thanks to share, Natalie.

AngeeBee said...

Thank you both for sharing the wonderful story. I had a Buddhist roommate in college - she since has joined the church, served a mission and married in the temple! It truly is remarkable the history in the lives of the people around us!

The Texas Bakers said...

Wow, what a great story. That really strengthens my testimony!

Tori said...

Thank you for a beautiful story.

The Tall and Short of it said...

We are so lucky that we have computers and internet! It is wonderful that we can be uplifted from your mission! Thanks for sharing! : )

Nancy Face said...

WOW! What a marvelous story! Thank you for sharing it with all of us! :)

Peter and Sharon Anderson said...

I loved hearing this story. It reminded me of the following.

A few years ago my sister in law went home after attending a conference at BYU. She said, "I knew the church was true, but I didn't know it was THAT true!

(Whoopdee dooo the church is true.)