Thursday, November 6, 2008

Life At The MTC

DH and I in the cafeteria (Salle a manger).
In our Senior Couple group. Couple in back are the Lynches, going to Nigeria. Couple in front are the Turners, going to Ghana. He is retired conductor for the So. Cal. Mormon Choir.
Elders and Sisters enjoying yummy MTC food.
Tues. is the day 100's of missionaries arrive at the MTC. from all over the U.S. There were 3 walkways with both sides filled with suitcases.
What an awesome day yesterday. Several hundred young missionaries arrived at the MTC. What an excitement in the air. Lots of tissue boxes in the large receiving room and in the lobby. The MTC now has abt 2,400 missionaries. Can you believe the power that is here! As we go to our classes and meet people and hear wonderful stories, we feel the spirit so stongly.
Yesterday I began my french tutoring. It is very difficult. At the end of my lesson a volunteer came in to role play. He was pretending to be a less active member of the church and we had to speak to him in french. Well he was perfect. His language, mannerisms and even expressions were exactly that of a frenchman. It reminded me of Beber, especially when he became upset. I spoke to him as much as I could and then when he became kind of obstinante I had to turn to DH for help in finishing up the role play. I was pretty nervous to speak to him in french, but I have to practice, so i do it. I also had to give my first prayer in french.

Today was another great day. After classes were over, we went to a meeting where we heard 2 couples who had served 2 mission each speak. The first couple was supposed to go to Greece. They tried and tried to learn greek and then were told that they would go to Cypress instead. When they got to the MTC, they learned that their call had been changed again. Now they would be going to Jordan. They spent a few day at the MTC and found themselves in Jordan with no language skills at all. What would they do? They began taking walks in the mornings and then decided they would start picking up trash because the area was so bad. Each day they would pick up trash, smile at people and try to communicate somehow. They came to recognize many and they became friendly with a woman who a few weeks later invited them to an engagement party for a relative of hers. At the party they were able to converse with a few english speakers. The next day they were on their knees praying for help. How would they interact with people not knowing any Arabic? As soon as they got up, they had a phone call. It was a young woman whom they had met at the party asking if she could come and visit with them. Of course they were delighted to invite her to their apt. After a pleasant visit, she offered to translate for them for the remainder of their stay in Jordan. She did just that. What a wonderful answer to prayer. Their next mission was to Switzerland. There they continued their hour long walks each day, but here noone would even look at them let alone talk to them. So, what did they do? They began talking to their dogs.:) That would break the ice and they were able to begin to do their work. The other couple served their missons in Canada and the Philipines. When they were trying to cross the border into Canada, the officer read their papers and since the word "work" as in missionary work was in their letter, he said they absolutely could not enter the country. What would they do? They had to go in to serve their mission. The Sister said that she just casually took her name tag out of her pocket and held it in her hand so that the officer could see it. Suddenly he rushed into the booth and then came out gruffly saying, "Let them pass". We don't know why he changed his mind, but we do know a miracle occurred and they were able to do the Lord's work.

My language class is held in the evening and so today we worked on common phrases and then my teacher taught me how to bear my testimony in french. That wasn't all, we then went out and she stopped first a couple of sisters and then a teacher to listen to me. I was to pretend that I only spoke french and DH was my translator. My job was to briefly talk to them and then to bare my testimony to them. I was so nervous, but as I began to speak to them, I was able to convey my message to them. All of us, each time, felt the spirit so strongly. We all were brought to tears. It is amazing to me to have such a strong testimony of the love that the Lord has for all of us.

At the end of the day which is about 8:30, we go back to our room and I am exhausted. I think it's not from too much physical work, but from all the mental and emotional effort that is put out all day long. I am grateful that I have wonderful children who are so supportive of us and of our mission. It helps me to do the things that the Lord wants us to do. Of course I am so grateful for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

6 comments:

Robin said...

What amazing strength you have. I know the next 2 years hold many wonderful opportunties for you guys. I love and miss you. Im grateful to see and read what is happening to share in the joy iwth you.

** Dre and Yoho ** said...

SOOO AWESOME! i SEE DAD GOT HIS TAG!! :) yoU GUYS LOOK GREAT!! kPEE UP THE GOOd WORK!!

Kathy said...

Ah the memories of the MTC. By the way I did not know you had a blog. Oh well, now I know. You guys look great. Treasure this time.

Jay said...

I love to read your missionary experiences! What a testimony you have and it comes through in any language. Good luck learning French.

allison nadauld said...

Thanks for the update. I am impressed with all you are learning and doing. Keep up the good work. You are amazing missionaries!

The Wendler Family said...

Hang in there! The French will get easier. I am glad you are facing your fears and giving it your all. Amazing. You are my hero!