Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Salad, Essence, District Missionaries, Temple story

I found the most wonderful salad here that I like to buy a lot now. It reminds me of clover, which I had growing on my entryway path, and which I loved even though it's technically a weed. I loved looking at it, not eating it. :) This salad is called salade de ble or veldsla mache. It has a very good taste and I love the way it looks.




Here is a shot of the sign at the gas station we use most. I think the "Mister Cash" sign is so fun. Too bad you can't get real cash here. As you can see, we had a gloomy, rainy day.


















We have the most awesome missionaries in our zone. They are so hardworking and so spiritually on the ball. They know the scriptures so well and are great at knowing which scripture to use at which time. Yesterday we were chatting after district mtg. and the sisters said that they are sometimes scared in certain areas now. They were on the Metro the other day and some rough looking guys were about to approach them inappropriately. Well, our missionaries happended to be on the same Metro. They said they were watching out for the girls. "If those guys had made one move towards our sisters, they would have had all of us warriors to contend with.:) Noone will be touching those sisters." "We will be watching out for them." Luckily nothing happened.



Elders Leavitt and Nielsen on top and Baker and Bertrand on the bottom. Aren't they handsome!






Sisters Redd and Santos. Pretty girls.
















Elders Cabrera and Riley. This pair is great!





Here is a special picture of Elder Riley especially for his Mom. See how great he looks. He is our awesome district leader. This Elder is quiet, but super on the ball. We all love him. Actually we love all of our missionaries. Each one has his or her own strengths and talents. I am in awe of them.


Sunday we had the best sacrament meeting. The friday previous, 5 of our new members got to go to the London temple to do baptisms for the dead. Every one of them got up at testimony meeting to talk about what a wonderful experience it was. One young guy was so funny. He said, "...the spirit was so strong that I felt it in my guts." I've never heard it put quite like that, but he was very sincere. Each person said how much they enjoyed the experience and how much their testimony was strengthened by going. They all felt the special reverence and nature of the temple. I can't wait to go there myself. I love going to the temple and working there. DH and I have been temple workers at the Los Angeles, Ca temple and at the Dallas, Tx temple and I must say it was a divine experience.

When we first began working at the Dallas temple we had a very special experience. The same day that we got set apart as workers we received a phone call from the temple pres. asking us if we would come back the next day and act as translators for a young couple who was coming for the very first time to get their endowments and to be sealed for time and all eternity. The man was from Cameroon, Africa and the young woman was from Russia. I later learned their story. The man had gone to Russia to go to the University. While he was studying, he met the missionaries, studied the gospel and became baptized. Some time later he met a girl on the double decker bus they were both riding. They began dating. He taught her the gospel and she was baptized. Soon after that they were married. Then they had a little girl named Elizabeth. The fellow finished university and moved to Texas and began working and saving his money so he could bring his family to the U.S. A couple of years later he went back to Russia and got his family and brought them to Texas. They soon had a baby boy, Romeo, and now they were ready to go to the temple. By the way, they all speak Russian at home. When we met them the man said, "In Cameroon half of us speak French and half of us speak English. I am from the English speaking side." So, we did not need DH's translating skills that day. The girl also spoke quite a bit of English, but I was able to accompany her and translate from Russian into English those things that she did not understand. After the endowment, I went to the nursery to pick up the children and to bring them into the sealing room. Elizabeth was a charming, little 5 year old. When I asked her if she spoke Russian, she smiled and said "Yeeeeeeeeeees" She also spoke fluent English. She was perfectly behaved and a beautiful, little girl. Romeo was a darling little 5 month old cherub. I still remember how he just snuggled up to me and remained a perfect little angel during the ceremony. It was so tender and beautiful to witness this beautiful family being united for eternity.

An interesting side note. After I took the children back to the nursery, I returned to the room where the couple and their guests were visiting. A gentleman came up to me and told me the following story. He said that he was from the same ward as the man from Cameroon. His own son lives in New York with his wife and they came to Texas for the week-end to go to a wedding of one of their friends. Well something happened and the wedding fell apart. The man told his son that he was going to the temple with a young couple from their ward and would his son and wife like to go along. They did. When they got into the room, at the temple, imagine their surprise when they saw the African man. He was the man whom the son had taught the gospel to when he was a young missionary in Russia. He was the missionary who had baptized him. What a joyeous reunion they had. Do you think this was a coincidence? I think not.

Sunday after church we had a big dinner and celebration for Francois, one of our young adults who is leaving on his mission this week. He is a fine, young man and we will really miss him a lot. He is going to serve in the Ivory Coast. The dinner was so nice. Francois has a 17 year old sister who together with her friend planned a wonderful program. The friend plays the piano beautifully and another friend plays the flute. They played several numbers and then the sister and friend and friend's mother sang a few really nice songs. They had a few short speeches and then Francois himself said a few words and bore his testimony. It was so nice. After the food was put away, the girls wheeled in the biggest cake. It was gorgeous and huge. It was decorated with fresh pear halves all along the edges and other fresh fruit on top. When the cake was brought to the center of the hall, everyone clapped their hands. It was like a scene out of an old movie. That cake was delicious too. Yum Yum! It was one of the best cakes I have ever tasted. Too bad my battery died and so no pictures. It turns out the one of the counselors is a chef by profession. He made this lovely, tasty cake and then served it.


3 comments:

nikko said...

I remember you talking about the story at the temple -- translating into Russian -- but I don't think I've ever heard the whole thing. WOW! I have so many goose bumps right now. What an incredible experience!

allison nadauld said...

What a neat temple experience...I've never heard it. I love reading about your experiences, insights and stories. I can feel the Spirit. Thank you. They make everything right in the world. Keep up the great work. We love you!

Yvonne said...

Wow, what beautiful stories. I love coming here and reading of your experiences. They are so uplifting. Thank you for sharing them.

This work is something, eh?

Hugs to you.