Saturday, March 7, 2009

La Peruana, La Limena, My beautiful Miss Peru

Since I decided to write about my children's birth stories or arrival stories on their birthday just the day before yesterday, I have to do a little catch up.

1Samuel 1:27 For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of Him.

A few years after we had A, I once again had the strong feeling that we needed to add to our family through adoption. I mentioned it to DH a few times and he was not really too sure. I waited a while and then I asked him again. Again he said that he was not sure. Well, I was positive and I knew that the Lord had another baby for us so I asked him to please pray about it and see what the Lord had in mind for us. He was willing to do that. After praying, he came out and said that yes we would proceed with the adoption, that there was another baby for us. And so, began the adoption process again. At this time India was closed and so I began looking at other countries and their policies, costs, etc. One Saturday we went to a party at our former agency Bal Jagat and there I met several families who had just adopted from Peru. Peru had not been opened for very long and I had not really known much about them. The little Peruvian babies at the party were so cute and so I got lots of information from the new Mom's. I ended up with a long list of lawyers who had worked with the various families. The very next Monday we began thinking about the different lawyers and making calls to Peru to talk with them. Luckily, DH speaks Spanish fluently and he was able to make the calls. We finally had the list narrowed down to several lawyers and finally after praying about it chose a lawyer to work with. This time the process was a lot quicker and after a 6 week wait, we got a phone call that a little girl was born and she would be ours. We were just elated and so excited to meet this new, little baby. There were lots of last minute things to do, airline tickets to purchase, paperwork to be signed, monies to be transfered, etc. etc. Then the day before E was to arrive, the lawyer called and said that he had changed his mind about the baby and that he was sending a different baby. He said that he knew that this new baby was the one meant for our family. How could this man, who had never even met us, have any idea which baby was meant for us? Why would he even care? I believe that the Lord was guiding him, for we know that E was meant to be a part of our family. That day we had to do more paperwork and lots of calls to the airport in Florida and in LAX to straighten out several mix-ups and ticketing problems.
Finally, the big day came, Feb 20, 1989. We were so excited and were busy getting ready to leave for the airport to get E. E was being brought to this country by the wife of the lawyer who was traveling with her little girl to visit some relatives who lived in Ca. Ut Mommy who was almost 11 really wanted to come with us and begged and begged, so we finally decided to let her come. We got to LAX and had a long wait because we arrived so early. We didn't want to be late, you know. The plane finally arrived and soon we saw a lady with a little girl and a baby. However, when we spoke to her and she said that yes she had our baby, she was reluctant to hand her over to us. I'm not sure why she waited, but she did. First she gave us the plastic bag with E's things and finally she let us see her. Oh my goodness, she was an adorable, tiny, little thing wrapped up in many blankets. Her sweet, little face had big, round cheeks, a tiny nose, lots of dark, straight hair growing down almost to her eyebrows, and just a tiny neck. She was wrapped up in a receiving blanket, an old white machine knit blanket on top of that, and a rough brown wool blanket on top of everything else. Under all of the blankets she was dressed in a t-shirt, pj's and a mickey mouse sweat suit. That little bundle felt just perfect in my arms, all 6lbs 2ozs of her and I was in love. However, I couldn't hold her too long. Oh no, I had to share with her sister, Ut Mommy, who couldn't wait to have a turn. As it turned out, Ut Mommy was coming down with a case of chicken pox. Poor little E got chicken pox too the first few weeks of her life. Of course, Dad had to have a turn too. E came with a little bottle that had a huge hole cut into the nipple. I think the lawyers wife did not have the patience to feed her. She must have just poured the milk down her poor little throat. We were so excited to have our little E home with us. When we finally got home from the airport, we had lots of family and friends waiting to great E. All of the kids have loved E and spoiled her from the first day she came home. Ang thought that she was her own special little baby. She has mothered her from the beginning. E has grown into a beautiful, bright young woman. She is very friendly and very likeable. She is responsible in money matters. She's a great worker. She's got the rhythm. Wow, can that girl dance, especially Salsa! I think she has salsa in her blood.:) She has graduated from High School and is taking college courses. We are so grateful and blessed that little E, born on the 16th of Feb. is a part of our family.
I have often been asked if I feel the same about the children that we have adopted as I do about the children that I gave birth to. I can say without any hesitation that yes, I feel the same about them. I love them with the same intensity and with the same love that I have for all of my children. I bonded with them as strongly as with the children that I gave birth to. When I see them, I do not think that there is my adopted daughter. I think, there is my daughter. I love all of my children and I thank my Heavenly Father for each one of them each day. I feel very blessed to have birthed children and to have adopted children. I would give my life for them and I pray for them each day.
Here is E with her brand new baby. Natalia is the cutest, most adorable, little baby. I will be writing about her soon.

A and E with their neices playing dance. It's fun to see our count down temple calendar in the background for our son M when he was in Brazil on his mission. The girls would take turns putting the sticker on each day.




My two beautiful girls.
The Gift of Life

I didn't give you the gift of life,
But in my heart I know
The love I feel is deep and real,
As if it had been so.
For us to have each other
Is like a dream come true
No, I didn't give you
The gift of life,
Life gave me the gift of you.
Annon.

To my two princesses, Miss India and Miss Peru
Legacy of An Adopted Child
Once there were two women who never knew each other
One you do not remember, the other you call Mother.
Two different lives shaped to make you one
One became your guiding star, the other became your sun.
The first one gave you life, and the second taught you to live it.
The first gave you a need for love, the second was there to give it.
One gave you a nationality, the other gave you a name.
One gave you talent, the other gave you aim.
One gave you emotions, the other calmed your fears
One saw your first sweet smile, the other dried your tears.
One made an adoption plan, that was all she could do
The other prayed for a child, and God led her straight to you
Now, which of these 2 women are you the product of?
Both, my darling Both, just two different types of love.
Anon

4 comments:

The Wendler Family said...

Wow N! I just loved reading these adoption posts! What beautiful daughters you have- all 5 of them! You and your DH are such wonderful parents! How great that you had him pray about E's adoption it cause you knew he would get the same answer as you did! What gifts from our Heavely Father!
Of course you would love them the same. They are your babies, not someone elses.

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

Your daughters are gorgeous! Aren't we mothers lucky people? I too never really think of my son as adopted- he is ours and we are his. Heavenly Father loves us very much to send such special spirits into our home through extraordinary means.

Have a wonderful week!

Nancy Face said...

I loved these two posts about your beautiful daughters! So wonderful! :)

Yvonne said...

What a beautiful post--and beautiful girls. You are such an amazing woman.

I love those poems.