Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Still Cold


We have had several really cold days now. Today it actually warmed up a bit (-1c) and lots of the snow melted. The sister missionaries wear a t-shirt, blouse, two sweaters and their scarf. (and that's inside the building). They also wear 3 or 4 pairs of socks. Their boots are starting to rip because of the extra bulk. Also, the salt is taking away the water proofing from their boots. Today I suggested they start putting plastic bags inside their boots. To go outside they bundle up in their coats, hats and gloves. I wear a blouse, sweater, a jacket, and then my coat along with a coat, scarf, and gloves. I wear a hat if we have to do any amount of walking outside. The elders all love the cold weather. They spend a little time goofing off as they go from appt to appt. Just a tiny bit of playing though. They really are very dedicated and hard working and very spiritual guys. They particularly loved getting to church on Sunday all covered in snow and looking like snowmen. All of us are in great spirits. It is wonderful to be doing the work of the Lord. We are in Europe and we are doing something we all love. We love the Lord and each other and we love working with the people, teaching them the way to salvation.
Today we had interviews with the president. We also had district training. Whenever we do that we do lots of role playing. That is always lots of fun. I love being with the missionaries. We learn a lot and we always enjoy being together. It is always an uplifting day. Two of our missionaries play awesome piano, so we always have really nice music to listen to now. We all had lunch together, made by the zone leaders. If zone leaders make lunch we always know what the menu will be. It is sandwiches made on bagettes, chips and a drink. Today Sister Brubaker made a delicious wassil in addition to our regular drinks. We all wanted her recipe which she gladly shared.
Dh and I went out for a couple of hours to the Marche de Noel in Rihour. It was fun to walk around and see all the stuff for sale in the little booths. We ate something that looked like donut holes with sugar all over them. Yummy.
Then we went back to the church to wait for the time to leave for our appts. I spent time talking to missionaries who were still waiting to be interviewed and to Sis. Brubaker. Dh went into a room and worked on his talk for Sunday. As the High Council guy for Calais he has to speak every month. He puts in hours of preparation and his talks are always great.
Finally we drove to St. Andre and made several visits. We had another busy and productive day. It was great.

4 comments:

The Wendler Family said...

I am glad you are managing to stay warm this Christmas Season. :) Oh, and I'm glad you got our Chirstmas letter/card. I didn't know how long it would take to get over to you and I'm please it got there before Christmas!
I enjoyed reading this post. Layers are the way to go! When I got to the part about bagettes sandwiches it got me really wanting some! (any thing that sounds good REALLY sounds good being pregnant.) Love you N!

Yvonne said...

I'm glad you are telling the missionaries how to stay warm--it's very important. It can be pretty miserable if you get cold and when you get wet, it's hard to ever get warm.

Enjoy all you are doing.

Merry Christmas.

Robin said...

I so loved being there with you guys. Its different being in a sacrament where you may not understand the words but you understand the spirit. How thankfu I am for the gospel. I am truly thankful for your testimonies. It really strengthens mine.

Connie said...

Oh, I don't like being cold! You seem to know how to handle it though. Love your little Christmas tree! Hope you have a great new year!