Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Our Firstborn

Happy Birthday to our darling Lana.  I can't believe she is a Mother and a Grandmother.  She's still my sweet girl.  I remember so vividly the day she was born.  I had wanted to be a Mommy forever and I especially wanted her to be a little girl.  We had been married for almost 3 years and John was going to school while I was teaching.  Finally he was getting his B.S. and we were expecting a baby.  We hadn't thought ahead that he would have to continue on and get his M.A. and teaching credential and I would have to continue working.  Nevertheless we were thrilled and beyond excited to be having a baby.
I was fortunate enough to have not one, not two, but three baby showers.  One was given by my two cousins; Nyucia and Helen.  Another was given by my friend Natalie T.  It was supposed to be a surprise shower, but I knew and had to act surprised.  The third was given by some of the teachers at school for one of the other teachers, Bonnie Simmons, and me.  All of the showers were extremely nice and we got everything we needed and more.
At the time we were living in a tiny house by the beach in San Francisco.  My Dad and John put up some cute wallpaper on one of the walls in her bedroom and I used wrapping paper from the presents I got to line her dresser drawers.   She did have to share her room with her Daddy because it was his office before that.
Well 3 weeks before her due date I woke up at night with contractions that were coming quite regularly 5 minutes apart.  I wasn't in much pain and didn't know if I was really in labor.  I didn't think we needed to leave for the hospital, but John said he didn't care if it real labor or not.  We were leaving.  We left about one in the morning.  As we were checking in at the hospital, I turned to John and said that we really needed to have a name for this baby.  We had been unable to decide up to that point.  "If it's a girl, lets call her Lana,"  I said.  John agreed and we then decided to call her Lana Marie.  "What if it's a boy?" I asked.  "Let's hope it's a girl." was John's answer.  We were blessed with a sweet, little girl weighing only 6 lbs 2 ozs and 19 inches long born at 5:49 a.m.  I had always "known" that I would always recognize my own baby.  What mother wouldn't?  And yet, when I first was wheeled to the nursery window only hours after she was born, I didn't know which baby was mine.  That night there was an unusual high number of babies born, 18 or 19 and I just didn't know which one was mine.  That was kinda sad for me.  We had to read the name tags to find our own baby.
I still remember how totally thrilled I was to finally be a Mom and to have my very own little baby.  Of course, she was and still is very beautiful.
Throughout all of these years, I have been so blessed to have Lana for my daughter.  She was a wonderful little girl and young woman and is a now a very great and wonderful woman.  She is very bright and kind.  She is always calm and in control.  She is gifted in many ways.  She is a wonderful, patient, loving mother herself and now a grandmother too.  I am so grateful that Heavenly Father sent her to me to be her Mom.  I love her with all my heart and I am soooooo grateful that I can be with her forever.  Happy Birthday my dear girl.  Sending you lots of hugs and kisses.

3 comments:

Morgan Brooks said...

Such a lovely post girl! Lovely blog as well!
xoxo
Morgan
http://thesocialboutique.blogspot.com/

Yvonne said...

I love your lana. She is a wonderful person. Hope she had a wonderful birthday.

Loved your comment about not recognizing her. When I had Stephen 40+ years ago and they handed him to me, I was immediately in love. Well, when they brought my baby in the second time, I thought, "now I know babies change, but this is ridiculous. He doesn't look the same." Well, guess what, it wasn't the same baby. Thank goodness for those little name bracelets, eh ; )

Tera said...

I loved the beautiful glimpse into your past!