Friday, September 23, 2011

Flowers and a busy week



Many times during the year John brings me flowers.  It is just what he has done all these years we have been married.  He does it because he loves me and I love getting the flowers and especially I love him.    I think it is so nice and I always enjoy the lovely bouquets that he brings me.  Each time he does it I am pleasantly surprised.  He gave me these beautiful roses a few weeks ago.

I have been soooooo busy.  I hardly have time to sit down at my computer.  I'm still dealing with the flood mess.  Who knew it would be so complicated and time consuming to call restoration people, have adjusters and inspectors come in, talk to insurance company, try to choose new carpeting etc. etc.  For some reason I am having a hard time deciding which carpet to pick.  I finally have it narrowed down to two. One of the is kind of like shag and the other is a low pile.  I will have to make my decision by Monday.

While we were on our trip to California, at the reunion, I received a phone call from one of the counselors in the Bishopric.  He wanted to know if he could talk to me the next day.  "Sorry, no, I'm in California,"  I told him.  I don't even know why I answered the phone while at a party, but I did.   As soon as I hung up, the thought came to me that I  was going to be called as a counselor in Relief Society.  Brother Ward called 2 more times to set up dates and each time I thought the same thing.  I knew that one of the counselors just had a baby and I just knew that I would be taking her place.  I didn't even know which counselor she was, 1st or 2nd.  I then thought of excuses why this was not the calling I would be getting.  Maybe we would be asked to give talks?  I was barely called to be a R.S. teacher and only taught 2 lessons.  Maybe we would be asked to work at the temple?  When we finally got home and Brother Ward came over, I was totally not surprised when he said that they wanted me to be 1st counselor.  And yes, I did take Julie's place, but it was an entirely new presidency.  While we were gone, the made lots and lots of changes in the ward.  So, I am in the presidency now and it's very, very busy.  Just last week we had a young woman tragically die.  We had the funeral on Monday.  We had 3 older sisters who fell.  One fell down the stairs after helping to set up for a wedding.  She broke her arm and shattered her wrist.  I feel so bad for her. She is about 83 and had surgery yesterday.  The other sister is 89 and she fell and hit her head.  Then a 3rd sister, also quite old, fell and broke her nose and has 2 black  eyes and lots of bruises.  I just feel so badly for them all.  Then we had 2 other sisters that had major surgeries this week too.   Next week has got to be better.  I don't mean better for me.  I didn't mind doing any of the things that had to be done.  In fact I loved doing them, but I feel so bad for the sisters with the problems.

We also attended 2 weddings, fixed a late lunch after church for everyone here on Sunday, made a main course and had dinner and FHE with Val and family on Monday, which we always love to do, went out with Michael and JaNee on Tues,  which was wonderful, fixed dinner for a family who just had a new baby, on Wednesday,  had presidency mtg and did visits on Thursday, as well as make a casserole for the homeless shelter, and of course all the regular routine stuff. This afternoon we got to have some fun with Andrea and Emily and their families and go to the Fall Festival at Thanksgiving Point.  John and I ended the evening by watching Jane Eyre.  It was a very good movie.  I love all those books and now movies by the Bronte sisters.
  

4 comments:

Lana said...

what a wonderful life!!

Yvonne said...

It's wonderful to have a hubby who brings you flowers, isn't it ; )

You have definitely been a busy lady. I'm sure your Relief Society President is happy to have you there serving with her. As well, the sisters in your Ward must love you--you are such a great woman.

Have a great day.

Connie said...

It doesn't surprise me at all that you're in the RS Presidency! Sounds like you'll be busy for a while now!

Beautiful flowers! That's so sweet.

Good luck with the carpet choosing.

nikko said...

What a busy week! You will do wonderful in the RS. I would love to be in an RS with you in the presidency. :o)