Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mt. Vernon


 Our main reason for taking this trip is to see Lana and her family.  I was so excited to come that I completely forgot about all of the wonderful history in this area of the country.  I remember that since I was a young teen-ager I have wanted to visit Mt. Vernon. Well, today was the day I got to go.  I was not disappointed at all.  It was a wonderful visit and a wonderful day.
Mt Vernon is right now being refurbished and so the picture above is from the Internet. However, we could still see some of the front of the mansion looking at it from the side.  The countryside is just beautiful.  It is so green and full of forests and other vegetation.  Behind the house is the great Potomac River.  Mt. Vernon was the home of our first President of the United States, George Washington.  I loved touring the house, the outer buildings, the gardens, the farm, going down to the river and being on the river.  I loved hearing the history.  It was a wonderful tour.
 The Potomac from the side of the house.  It was much, much larger than I expected or imagined.

 Some of the outer buildings.
 The view from the back of the house.
 We were not allowed to take photos inside the house except for the kitchen area.  This is the kitchen.
 This was the cold storage room.  You can see the game hanging.  Underground is where they kept the meat and other perishables.
 This is another little cooking room.
 Looking towards the house.
 It was so interesting to hear about George Washington and his life.  He married Martha who was a widow with a son and a daughter.  They never had children of their own.  He was such a great man.  He had the vision of having a free country and he led his men with courage to achieve that great goal.  He was a great leader and admired by many.

 The path leading to the Potomac.
 H in front of a ship that goes to Washington D.C.
 Miss Christin the little boat that we took to have a ride on the Potomac.  It was fun to be on the water and have a different view of things.
 I love this shot of Lana and her Dad.


It was soooooooooo hot, but on the boat they had A.C. on the lower level. We sure enjoyed the coolness.  




 We ate a typical dinner from the times of George Washington at the cafe.
 I ate a yummy peanut and chestnut soup.  My main course was duck that should have been tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside.  Instead it was kind of gamey and not crisp.  I thought it was just ok.  I did share John's delicious bread pudding.
We walked through some museums, saw a really nice movie about General Washington and his famous battle with the British.  We walked and walked and walked.  

2 comments:

Connie said...

Looks like beautiful country. I didn't know those facts about George Washington. It looks like you're having a blast!

Yvonne said...

I agree with Connie--it looks like such a beautiful place. I'll have to send you an e-mail and send you about the info I've found out about one of my relatives who has letters written to him by George Washington.

It would be so fun to visit Mt. Vernon.

The picture of Lana and your husband is such a nice picture.