Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Musee d'Orsay

After our wonderful, fabulous ride on the Bateau Mouche, we had lunch at a little outdoor cafe in Paris.  Here we are with the Jonda's eating a pretty good lunch.  I didn't think it was up to
French standards, but it was fine. 



Here is my lunch:  Pate with cornichons (pickles) for appetizer and chicken with frites for the main course.


 We walked past many lovely building to get to the museum.  The Musee d'Orsay is a beautiful old train station that has been transformed into a museum.  Here are some photos of the ceiling in the middle portion of the museum.  It was just gorgeous.

 The museum has lots of wonderful immpressionist paintings by Monet, Manet, Degas, Cezanne, Renoir, Cassatt, Boudin, Gaugin, and many others.  I love the impressionist era.  There were also many, many lovely statues.  We really enjoyed the museum a lot.  It was not very big and it was full of art that I just love. 

 These are just a few photos that I took before I noticed a sign that said not to take photos. 
Too bad I understood enough French to notice that sign and had to stop.
 The rest of the photos are of the town square in Arras, France.  This beautiful square is often compared to the Grand Place of Belgium although on a much, much smaller scale.  The buildings are so ornate and so beautiful. It is fun to look at them and to think of their history. 
The Jonda's live in a little village not far from Arras and so this is their city.  Bro. Jonda is very proud of it. 
We had a very, very pleasant and fun visit with them.











 This is a little weigh station near the edge of the city where the farmers used to come to weigh their produce.

Tonight we are going out to dinner with Connie and her husband, one of my bloggy friends.  I am so excited to meet her.  I know she is going to be awesome in person because I already read about how great she is.  What a bonus to blogging.  I will have a report to give you later.

3 comments:

nikko said...

Shhh! Don't tell anyone, but I actually liked Musee d'Orsay better than the Louvre.

Connie said...

Again, I love your pictures!
I must admit, our dinner tonight looked better than your lunch! :-)
Thank you so much for meeting us for dinner! Loved visiting with you and your wonderful husband. We really need to do it again, and again!

Yvonne said...

Such lovely pictures.

How fun that you got to meet Connie--I can't wait until I get a chance to meet you ; )