Friday, October 2, 2009

Marqueze

In the department of the Landes where Dh's husband lives, there was a terrible storm in January. There was hail the size of eggs. The wind blew through and destroyed thousands and thousands of trees. There were miles and miles of destruction throughout the forest. We saw so many trees completely uprooted and many were bent over. Many were also lying on the ground. Alongside many of the roads were piles of logs that are being cut up from the broken trees. Some areas looked like war zones. It was sad to see so many destroyed trees.










On the 9th, we went to a restored village of how life was in Sabres, in the Landes about 100 years ago. It was very, very interesting. To get to the village we took an old (over 100yrs) train. As it chugged along we saw lots of the destroyed forest.







When we got there it was lunch time and so, of course, everyone wanted to eat. The restaurant was all booked up and the wait would be about 1 hr. That was fine with everyone, so we bought some drinks and sat down to relax and people watch. Sitting at a small table and having something to drink, talk, and look at people is a favorite french pasttime. So, we sat and enjoyed ourselves until we could go into the restaurant.

When it was our turn, we ordered our food and then proceeded to have about an 1 1/2 to 2 hr. lunch. One does not want to rush lunch in France. :)

This dish has meats including hams, pates, and fried gizzards.
This dish had other cuts of meats again including ham, pates, and thin sliced beef.

My dish was the specialty of the region, roast duck with potatoes and squash.
It was very tasty.
Dessert was this special cream with a slice of regional cake that you dip into the cream. It is delicious!

Nicole had the apple tart.

The village was made up of quite a few houses scattered throughout a very large area. There was quite a distance between them. We visited a lot of the houses, but not all of them.



A weaving loom. I loved all of the canopies on the different beds.



Dh and his family lived not far from here in Sabres. They had a room just like this one with a fireplace just like this one, but not decorated. They were way too poor to have any decorations. I remember visiting his old house and seeing a rainbow of tiny different colored squared colored on one of the walls. When I questioned him about it, he replied that his Mom drew those there trying to brighten up the house a bit.




Since I love sewing, I enjoyed seeing the old sewing machines. I began sewing on my Grandma's old machine that had a wheel to the right of the machine that had to be hand turned to make the needle go up and down. I still have that old sewing machine and I love it as it reminds me of my favorite Grandma.

This was the proprietor's bed.


I was surprised to see so many nice bed coverings in such a simple and very plain village.







This room was off the main room. The holes in the wall are for the oxen to put their heads through and to be fed. They kept them in the house to keep them warm.









A baby bed.
Baby clothes and things under glass.

My favorite part was seeing these two oxen being led by a young lad. They had some sort of cloth covering their eyes. They were super obedient. They were more obedient than a lot of kids that I know. The young guy was talking to them in Landais or Patois. He led them to a barn and then had them back up the cart into its place. He would say things like "arrey, arrey" meaning back and they would back up. He would call them by name and say left, right, forward, or whatever he wanted them to do. They listened and did just as he said. When they got the cart into its proper place, he had them kneal down and he removed the handles and other gear. Then he waked off with the two of them following right along with him.







We spent a very nice day together and it was fun to see how people used to live in this area many years ago.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

I love all the decor--everything is so beautiful.

It must have been such a wonderful trip.

txmommy said...

I love the beds! so fancy!

The Wendler Family said...

Ridding on old trains is so fun. The oldest train I rode on while in Europe was one in Belgium. I felt like I was going back in time being on that little old train. The one you rode on was much like the one I rode.
I love to people watch! I love that the French don't rush meals and enjoy little vacations every day. :)
What is with all of the canopies? It makes me think that they were used to keep the person inside warm, but I don't know enough about them to know for sure. That would make sense why all of them had one, even the baby bed.
Love all of the pictures. I love that you take pictures of the food you eat! It makes me want to eat it too! :) Love you!