Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hyacinth

About a month ago we got some bulbs and have been carefully taking care of them. They grew so nicely. First they got little green shoots which then grew and grew. Then the shoots got really big and we saw some tiny buds begin to show. They grew and grew and then they began opening a few at a time. Finally, they all bloomed and we were thrilled to see beautiful Hyacinths in full bloom with the most heavenly smell that permeated the entire apt. Well, a couple of days ago one of the flowers bent over. We propped it up, but by morning of the next day the second one bent over and tonight the last one has also bent over. We are not sure why this is happening. We do know that the plant will turn to face the light, but we have been carefully rotating the little pot. If you look closely at the picture to the left, you will see a lot of new buds coming up. Each bulb has a set of new buds. Are the old flowers moving out of the way for their little babies to come up? Who has the answer?





5 comments:

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

the only hyacinths I have ever grown had much shorter stems than those are- maybe you should try tying them to dowels-

I wonder if your son knew an Elder Todd Stoddard from Provo- just out of curiosity. Todd came home in 96 as well-

Natalie said...

To Head Nurse of Patient:
I will check with him.

Yvonne said...

I only have BROWN THUMBS so I'm no help. Good luck with finding an answer.

I bet they smell so lovely.

BTW, I will pray for A and hope that the surgery goes well.

The Wendler Family said...

Sounds like you have done everything right so far. I, however, am of no help in this department. Every plant I've tired to keep alive seems to die just to spite me. A green thumb is a tallent I want to have, but thus far, the Lord has not blessed me with. I have some friends who are amazing gardeners, one in particular, I will ask her the next time I see her (it should be tomorrow, if I remember) and I'll let you know!

marcia@joyismygoal said...

how pretty i love helping things growq