Saturday, January 17, 2009

Holland (a little)

Last Saturday we had to go to Holland with the Phairs to attend an Outreach Area mtg being held by the CES Germany area rep, the Dutch rep, and the Area Authority Bro. Kleijweg. There were several couples there in attendance to learn what our responsibilities would be. We were given directions to go to Gouda by our Mission Pres. but when we got there, the bldg. was empty. We waited for a little bit and then I made a phone call to Bro. Moat. He said "Oh I will be there in 10 min and Bro. Kleijweg will be there in 15. " Well, we waited and waited in -10c weather and wondered what was going on. After about 40 mins we got a phone call. "Where are you?" Turns out we had the wrong directions. We then had to go back and drive about another 30 mins to finally get to the mtg. late. We didn't miss much except for the luncheon and they quickly brought us up to speed. We already had a lot of information. The new information for us was the financial aspect. That is a huge job in itself. Now I remember why I never wanted to be an accountant.:) I do have the biggest respect for them. I just hope DH and I will be able to fill out all the reports and do all of this financial stuff just right. The meeting lasted all day and was quite tiring. Mostly we were tired because I had been sick with a bad cough, sore throat etc for most of the previous week and DH had gotten sick just the day before. He is still coughing a lot and I am still not up to par. Anyway with both of us feeling rotten, it was tiring. I tried to take some pictures, but was not too successful at it. I was in the back seat and we really didn't have time to stop or look at anything because of our time limits. I was impressed with how modern Holland looked. It is full of huge skyscrapers and very modern looking building. It's interesting to see all of this high tech stuff right next to old, old structures. We hope to get a better look when we go back in the spring.

A huge bridge on the way out of Rotterdam.






Roads and bldgs. in Rotterdam.





5 comments:

Yvonne said...

Sorry you and your hubby have been sick. Hope you are feeling better.

I'm sure there is much to learn, but the Lord will help you accomplish it all.

The Wendler Family said...

Well, I think your pictures look lovely. :) Holland does look very modern. When I was backpacking we really wanted to make it to Holland but didn't have the time. I guess I'll just have to go again! ;)
I so sorry you and John are sick. Long meetings when you are not well can be very difficult. Way to stick it out! I hope the drive home wasn't too long, so you could get to bed soon after the meeting ended. I hope you both get rested and recover quickly!

nikko said...

Sorry you haven't been feeling well. Thank you for taking the time to take and post pictures. We really enjoy looking at them!

Jay said...

I hope you both feel better soon. Your missionary experiences and service are so inspiring. I love reading them--I know I say that every comment--but it's SO true!

One For All said...

how cool that you get to see all these new sites! what an experience! you are so sweet and i love how you described in great detail to dani how to iron sheets. it made me laugh cause i can picture you doing it. well, i love you guys.
charmela